Topband: Preamplifiers

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 01:19:46 EST 2015

Hi, Eddy

I used one of the old Ameco vacuum tube preamp/pre-selectors, that I
borrowed from my friend, bill, K4CIA, for my KAZ terminated receiving loops
several years ago. It was great!  - had plenty of gain and because it was
vacuum tube, it wasn't susceptible to damage from transmit RF picked up in
the loop. I no longer have the KAZ loop, but I'm going to build another one.
Bill had a second newer JFET version o fthe Ameco, that I bought from him.
I expect I'll have to take more care with protecting the JFET device. T he
old vacuum tube Ameco pream work great onn 160, 80, 40 and 30m, where I used
it. F course I didn't need it with the 5-band quad for the higher bands -
mostly on loop on 160, where the antenna gain was low, but it was a very
quiet antenna, and I heard things on 160 that I couldn't hear before. I ran
the Ameco into the receive antenna input on my FT-1000MP. Worked great!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV\