Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers

kolson at rcn.com kolson at rcn.com
Wed Feb 4 10:17:19 EST 2015

Frankly, if someone I barely knew sent me a critique of my operating style unsolicited and basically demanded an apology for something he deemed wrong , my reaction would likely be the same.

I know that for the "big guns" with 4 squares and 1000 ft. bevs every 15 degrees  it's easy. You're louder and hear better, so no problem. For those of us with modest stations, (in my particular case 50 X 120 ft. lot in noisy neighborhood, K9AY RX  and "T" transmit antenna, 40 up, 90 on the horizontal ) you have to be clever. For example, I noticed that the 160 op at K1N was returning to calls with a second call in abeyance when he finished the first QSO, so I found a station he was working and threw my call in just after he sent his report slightly off frequency and he came back . Some may see this as an improper tactic, but the operator at K1N apparently didn't and I don't either,  so that's all I need to know.

It's easy to be noble when you have the big signal. But, interestingly enough, a friend of mine was basically "finessed" out of a contact in the EP6T 160 pile-up by some of the big signal guys continuous calling. That was a tough QSO by any standards, but funny how "nobility" and "high operating standards" went out the window in that case...

Kevin K3OX