Topband: Open wire feeder

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Wed Feb 4 14:57:02 EST 2015

I have 350' of coax going to a remote antenna switch which allows me
to select from 5 vertical wires, I just posted about my radial
system/plate they are part of. Amazing to me is between these 5 wires
I can cover 160M-6M and I use no antenna tuner except the internal
one in the K3. I have a tribander roof mounted but don't like using
it because it picks up so much hash from neighboring sources. The
wires 350 feet away are always quieter on the same band.

I am losing a lot of Rx/Tx signal on the higher bands with this long
coax. I have not been able to find anyone to sell me used/surplus
hardline that's affordable at this 350' distance so am wondering if I
could supply these antennas with open feeder line and do so in a
practical manner to switch bands quickly in a contest. If the answer
is to use just one wire and tune that, the 160M is 129' long and is
mostly a sloper with the last 40 feet resting on the top branches of
trees. What I'm doing now tunes nicely Ie: 17M tunes great with the
80M antenna, as does 12M but the 160M is sometimes better so I select
the better one at the time.

Thanks,

Gary
KA1J