Topband: Proposal for Modification of DXCC Rules

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Feb 4 16:47:17 EST 2015

> Back when the DXCC rules were changed to eliminate the requirement that
> all
> contacts must be made from within a 150 (?) mile radius to "all contacts
> must be made from within the same entity" the hobby was in a much
> different
> place.

I think they need two awards.

1.) All contacts from a person's own station, all on site, and a site change
only within a reasonable distance.

2.) The present rules that have been in place.

The problem becomes, as it is in any sport, personal ethics. Two awards
would at least defuse the legal debate.

> 1. Grandfather all credits to-date -- whether they were obtained from one
> location, moving all over a given DXCC entity or via any type of remote
>
> 2. Revert back to DXCC being determined by station location, not the
> operator. To allow for local moves establish a 150 mile radius within
> which
> the station location may be moved.

Bingo. Two awards.

> 3. Each operator gets to pick ONE location from which he may feed his DXCC
> award going forward. This can be a traditional home station, his personal
> remote station, or a commercial remote. But pick ONE and stick with it. No
> more clicking from one coast to another.

That would fit the second "one station only" class.

> Sure, there will be questions on enforceability -- but you have that now
> with excessive power, the "all equipment within 300 meters" rule, and so
> on.
> If this is a really big deal to someone, establish a DXCC OO position and
> scatter them around the world (like that would be a fun job!).

Cheaters and sore sports will always be part of any competitive situation.
Generally anything that that levels the field against one person will be
taken as bad by that person, and fair by others.

Personally, I just enjoy the technology. I care less about the awards,
especially since a noticable percentage of QSO's are not even actual QSO's
by the defintion of a radio information exchange.

I just don't understand why anyone feels their value as a contributing Ham
depends on how difficult a time they can publically give others, how they
can best make others feel bad, or how they compare to someone else in some
award or score. I mean, it is fun to win a contest and fun to work a
country, but all this silly bickering and wild unfounded accusations remind
me more of MMA fighting than a technical, educational, hobby.

:-)

73 Tom