Topband: Out-of-Turn Callers

Jan Erik Holm sm2ekm at bdtv.se
Thu Feb 5 03:00:45 EST 2015

On 2015-02-05 08:30, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Wed,2/4/2015 10:51 PM, Jan Erik Holm wrote:
>> Sorry if I´m a PITA right now but why even bother to
>> have this debate about K1N on 160, it´s not even DX
>> to NA, like a local station almost.
>
> That depends on where in NA you are -- it's pretty big. I'm 5 miles from
> the Pacific, 70 miles S of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, 3,122
> miles from Navassa. London, England is 3,090 miles from Bangor, Maine.
> Detroit is 1,715 miles from Navassa. Seattle is 3,330 miles from
> Navassa. All of those North American paths are over land. The paths from
> EU to Navassa are all over water. I've spent about 8 hours trying to
> work them on 30M. They are pretty loud here, but I keep getting beat by
> stations in the eastern half of the US, AND from EU. I did work them the
> first night they were on 160M.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Yes I know it´s big. I been to all those places, Golden gate bridge, San
Francisco, Detroit, Bangor, Seattle  and probably very close to your QTH
also. I driven across the US a few times, yes I know it´s big.

Yes my statement was a bit broad but still, 3000 miles that´s like me
working a Italian station, for you west coast would be the extreme case
I certainly understand that. In any case if I put it at my perspective I
see no big deal in working a Italian station on any band.

73 Jim SM2EKM