Topband: K1N DQRM Tracking Project

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun Feb 8 21:08:05 EST 2015

I agree, Lee. Locating a DQRM station involves accurately time stamping the
arrival time of their transmissions, at (at least) three receivers at known
locations. Once the arrival times are known, one can use trigonometry to
calculate the location of the interfering station. Since radio waves travel
about one foot in a microsecond, and since a microsecond is an eternity by
modern frequency counter standards, it should be possible to get very
precise locations. The city block mentioned earlier should be readily
doable. Of course, this requires that the three receivers be able to copy
the DQRM ground wave signal, since the arrival times would otherwise be
dependent on ionispheric reflections. More than three receivers would result
in more accurate position measurements.. There's no need to use direction
finding equipment, which are very low resolution by comparison with time
measurements..

I'm no authority on FCC rules, but I'm under the impression that
deliberately interfering with other licensed transmissions is against the
law. Every month or so, the FCC nails some renegade ham or CBer for doing
just that. Probably just publicizing the callsign of the culprits would be a
large deterrant for all but the most sociopathic offenders.
73,
'Jim

K7TJR