Topband: [Bulk] Re: HVDC

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 10 14:50:56 EST 2015

I would suspect that a DC HV line operator will pay A LOT of attention
to any arcing from what I've seen of HV DC arcs.  Once the ionization
gets established and metal ions vaporized from the terminals get flowing
it avalanches until the protection circuits act.  Small AC arcs are much
different which leads to less interest in finding/fixing them.  The
couple 100KV AC HV line near my QTH is pretty quiet.  Lot's of rain
keeps the insulators pretty clean although noise does come up a bit when
some get wet.

Near my prior Bay Area QTH, PG&E helicopters washed the insulators a
couple of times a year as dust would accumulate on them and cause
problems, 380KV I think.  Having had many passenger hours in a Jet
Ranger, it seems to me totally crazy operating one 20' from an energized
line.  However, I didn't get to see a "HOT" repair via copter, only on
youtube:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A86.J7ugXtpUk3gAaJUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0c2puYm1xBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x?p=youtube+hV+transmission+line+service&tnr=21&vid=1269A35510213E2488651269A35510213E248865&l=191&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608005122890599086%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rpbep1v&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSkFH8lLvKZ0&sigr=11bgcu5vs&tt=b&tit=High+Voltage+Line+maintained+via+Helicopter&sigt=11b303tp7&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dyoutube%2BhV%2Btransmission%2Bline%2Bservice%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=13ger94lf&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Makes free climbing look completely safe.

Grant KZ1W