Topband: 630 Crossband Saturday Night

Steve VE7SL at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 11 19:01:45 EST 2015

Since getting the new 630m band (472-479KHz) here in Canada, one of my
favorite ways of promoting interest in the new band has been 'crossband'
activity ... that is, transmitting on 630m while the other stations transmit
on a predetermined announced HF (QSX) frequency, usually on 80 or 160m.
There are many amateurs in the U.S. who are interested in getting the band
as well as many Canadians that are interested in getting on the band and the
crossband activity usually generates a lot of interest.

The last time this was done, over a dozen stations (from W3, W5 to local)
were worked via the crossband mode. A summary of that evening is posted
here:

http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/2014/11/630m-crossband-summary.html

Both myself and John, VE7BDQ, have enjoyed making other crossband contacts
this past winter and will once again be soliciting crossbanders this coming
Saturday evening.

Our plan is to operate from 0200Z through 0700Z, (1800-2300 PST Saturday).
Beginning at the top of the hour, we will both be calling CQ on CW and
listening for any callers on HF. CQ's will continue until there are no more
callers and will begin again at the next top of hour time slot. This should
allow for a wide variation in propagation and the possibility of eastern
contacts as the evening progresses.

The frequencies will be:

  a..  VE7SL TX 473.00KHz QSX (listening) 1808KHz (160m) and 3535KHz (80m)
  a.. VE7BDQ TX 474.00KHz QSX (listening) 1813KHz (160m)
It is hoped that as many stations as possible will give a listen for us and
be able to call on one of the HF QSX frequencies. Both John and myself will
be running at the maximum allowable eirp for the duration of the activity.

If you have not had a look for any 630m stations, hopefully you will take
the opportunity this coming Saturday night ... you really do not need any
special antennas for receiving on 630m. Many of the stations that I have
worked on crossband have been using HF dipoles for low-noise reception.

Please feel free to post this message to other groups as well...and, watch
the blog for further updates.

See you Saturday I hope!

Steve / VE7SL

WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook":  http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl

VE7SL BLOG - "Homebrewing and Operating Adventures From 2200m to Nanowaves":
http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/