Topband: Fwd: PQ0T active in 160

PY1NB - Felipe Ceglia felipeceglia2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 06:52:23 EST 2015

Hello folks,

I was part of the ZY0T team on 2009.

I bring a half wafe 160m dipole with commercial made ladder line with me. I
was not sure of what kind of supports where available.

We had two stations running simultaneously, some hundreds of meters apart.
One site was PY1ZV and PY1NB and on the other PY1YB and PY1ON.
We set our station inside the navy's radio room, and the other was in the
small house that the island staff  used to log data transmitted from
meteorological balloons.

Close to the radio room, there where 4 or so towers with nearly 15m height,
forming a square, but with nothing connected to them. All in very bad
conditions, lots of rust everywhere, probably they have come down by now. I
had no guts to climb to the top, so I placed the apex of the dipole, in
inverted vee configuration about 3/4 high.

Wall to wall with the radio room was what they called "lan house", a room
with cheap PC's in which the island crew used to get amused on the
internet. Cheap PCs, cheap power supplys, lots of noise and birds running
across low bands. Thats why I was frenetically asking UP1, UP2, UP3, DN5,
DN4, etc. A rat and mouse thing. After everybody seemed to be gone, I would
go to the "lan house" and unplug all the PC's, but eventually someone would
come by and turn them on. Also, the radio was a FT857, which obviously did
not help much.

On the other station they had a huuuuge amount of noise whan the computer
that received the meteo baloon data had to be turned on, rendering
operation impossible. They borrowed one of such baloon and hanged a
vertical from it. Not exacly over salt water, but close. They used it for
some of the 80m QSOs. I regret I did not play with it, must have been fun.

As I had not much expertise in topband by the time, I had no better
insights. If I would do it again, I'd try to set up an inverted L as close
as possible to salt water. Maybe try to set camp away from human made
noise. Maybe bring a simple RX antenna and place it as far as possible to
man made noise. Bring a better rig...

That operation was not intended to be focused on topband, so I considered
being on 160m a plus, and at the end, considering the operator's (me)
expertise and setup, 100 QSOs was pretty a good figure, hihi.

73,

Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB
PR1T team member /// Rio DX Group member /// Araucaria DX Group member
http://dxwatch.com /// http://reversebeacon.net /// http://riodxgroup.com