Topband: Modeling "Ground"

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:01:43 EST 2015

For most of the past century the intractability of the equations was the
excuse for just laying down "textbook" overkill radial systems. If you
can't solve the "real world problem", then just change the real world to
match the problem you can solve!!! (Google "spherical cow").

Today I think the variable moisture depending on weather, and poor
measurement of soil RF properties is the limit to tractability of
computations. It doesn't matter how good your equations or computers are if
you are not using the right material properties. Garbage in, garbage out.

The folks who do ground penetrating radar make very good measurements and
some go as low as 10MHz. Still when comparing cost of massive copper
systems to cost of making ground penetrating radar measurements in a
variety of weather conditions, I suspect massive radial systems will still
win.

Tim N3QE