Topband: Brave New World

m.r. mrc02 at kinderteacher.com
Wed Feb 25 17:04:52 EST 2015

It is mis leading to say there was no one in the shack implying that the station made the
contacts without supervision.  Each position was properly and legally remotely controlled.
The station was properly identified by each control operator. The control operators did
NOT claim they were transmitting from anywhere but the K4VV station location.

Remote control does NOT suddenly make the station different.  Its transmitter, receiver
and antennas are all the same.  The stations transmitters were all correctly identifying
the station.

It simply does NOT MATTER where the person is sitting. The remotely controlled station
actually has some small dis advantages over a locally controlled station.  There is an
additional layer of complexity, and there is propagation delay through the network
(Internet) that delivers the control commands & the data being transmitted.  There also is
the dis advantage from the lack of "spatial orientation" an on site operator has.

Controversy over remote control is silly.  MIS USE of remote control is MIS USE, and is
the fault of the person mis using the capability.  It is NOT the fault of remote control.
It is the same kind of issue as the 15 KW amplifier in the basement that is "hidden" from
the station operating area.

The mis use issue is showing up because it is now easier for someone to deliberately mis
use the capability.  Before remote control was commonly available, someone wanting to make
use of a station in a different country had to either fly there, and illegally use his own
call in a foreign country, or, simply persuade someone at the station to make the contact
using his callsign, and not that of the station and country.  Both acts are illegal and
improper, and have absolutely nothing to do with the station itself, and how it is
controlled.

Blame MIS USE - or call it illegal use - of a stations capability.  It REQUIRES the
deliberate act of an operator. The STATION does not perform the illegal act, the operator
does.  There are many examples of illegal use of a station by a person sitting at the
station.  Those same acts carried out by remote control are no more and no less illegal.
(bad English usage, but the point remains)

Robin Critchell
WA6CDR