Topband: BOGs, Snakes and snowpack

K2RS K2RSonline at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 18:02:56 EST 2015

When spring finally arrives, I'd like to try a BOG and/or a Snake
receive antenna. I live on a half-acre suburban lot and these antennas
are doable.

But I have a question about them. Does a substantial snowpack -- let's
say a foot or more -- have an effect on the performace of on-the-ground
receive antennas like BOGs and Snakes? For the past four winters, we
have had at least 12" of snow on the ground from December until March. A
couple of years we've had between three and four feet of snowpack
throughout the winter.

The BOG and Snake would be in addition to off-the-ground antennas, such
as wire loops and magnetic loops, so I would not be relying on them as
my only receive antenna.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

73,