Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:26:37 EST 2015

Having lived in the Newburgh area, I have to object again to this report
that I have tried to debunk before. I have earlier communicated this
objection to Mr. Fry which he chooses to ignore.

Given the topography of the area, this report is simply incomplete and
unproven unless the GPS coordinates are provided and it is firmly known
whether the antenna was at the Hudson river plain level or on one of the
500-1000 foot HAAT hills in the area. Then one would need to know the GPS
coordinates of all the data points to evaluate terrain influences along the
path.

As every ham can tell you, with 80 accumulated years of worldwide
irrefutable data only improved upon by transmission over salt water, high
hilltop to high hilltop has exceptional overall propagation advantages. I
continue to wonder about this report as a possible "con job" absent
sufficient data, or why a reputable firm would even think to advance this
study without those qualifications supplied with the report.

Simply put, the Newburgh area is at least a difficult area and at worst an
entirely inappropriate area to test this thesis. At other sites, it would
need to be known whether the site is a conversion site, that is, over old
radials. And then it would be necessary to evaluate this concept over
pristine ground vs. over conversion site ground.

The problem with the Newburgh, NY geography is easily seen by anyone with
Google Earth using the slanted view which displays vertical topography as
if viewed from a low flying plane or helicopter, and will clearly show the
area's characteristic sharp transitions between the river plain and
hilltops.

As is irrefutably known to any ham, the propagation from the hilltop sites
is immensely better than inland sites at locally lower ground, especially
for receptors that are themselves at ground.

All-in-all the study is a shame to have been published in this missing data
format. Otherwise it might have been a demonstration of how much loss can
be avoided by elevating the feedpoint.

A far better site for the purpose would have been the New Jersey farming
area flatlands. If THAT delivers the same readings, then you have
something. If it takes hilltops to make hay, there simply is nothing new.

73, Guy.