Topband: Question...

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Feb 28 12:29:45 EST 2015

On Sat,2/28/2015 5:53 AM, k8bhz at hughes.net wrote:
> I see....you copy CW at hundreds of words per minute in your head?
> Congratulations! One of my most memorable meteor scatter qso's was
> with a lady from the South who had the most beautiful accent,
> accentuated by the scatter effects. It's hard to equate that to a
> "chirp" of high speed CW or data. Actually hearing the excited voices
> of those you worked was most of the thrill. It's a shame that all the
> hype of the high speed, computer read CW or data turned most people
> off to meteor scatter, because it's  so easily done with existing,
> very modest stations.

I love Billie Holiday with Lester Young, Lee Wiley, Fats, Bix, and
1920's Louis Armstrong, but I also go out regularly to hear players who
listen to their elders, but make new music of their own -- Regina
Carter, Anat Cohen, Kurt Elling. Times change. In the words of a great
American writer (I've forgotten which one), "You Can't Go Home Again,"
simply because the home you remember, which consisted of people, places,
and events of THEN, is no longer there.  High speed CW meteor scatter is
one of those "thens." So are the traffic nets of our youth, although
some still hang onto them.

73, Jim K9YC