Topband: [Bulk] Looking for 160m narrow beam RX advice

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 4 13:55:20 EST 2015

I put my DX Eng 4 sq right at a corner of my lot.  A 4' ground rod only
worked ok, but in a pretty wet area most of the year, so I added three
15 foot bare #14 Cu radials for drier times.  Two along the 90 deg
baselines as keeping radials away from the feedline to the central
switch seemed a good idea.  The third does go onto a neighbor's yard but
both sides are dense forest/wet, and I got permission.  The baseline is
the 70' compromise dimension for 160/80.  I used 11' high elements - 5/8
& 1/2" Al 6' tube also from DXE.  I'm planning to add 6' more of 3/4"
tube.  I made my own mounting plates to hold the elements and preamp box
to the ground rod from 3/8 acrylic.

Other than having a noisy cable which I fixed, it has worked very well.
How well depends on the arrival angles but 3+ S units are pretty common
F/B.  My baselines are N-S-E-W so mine has the directivity you desire.

Grant KZ1W