Topband: JA's this morning on 160

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 6 12:29:24 EST 2015

On Tue,1/6/2015 5:37 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> On Sunday afternoon I worked 40M JA's on RTTY an hour before my
> sundown.Astonishing to me!
>
> Herb, I was up early Monday morning and heard you working the JA's (but of
> course could not hear the JA's)!
>
> Monday I did work a foundation-series VK licensees on 40M CW Monday
> morning. Brand new calls to me!!!
>
> Tuesday morning I called CQ and worked JA's on 80M CW. I know that's
> nothing for you guys, but stupendously great 80M conditions for me!

When I lived in Chicago, I occasionally worked JA on 80M an hour or so
after sunrise.  My station there was quite modest -- a loaded dipole at
about 40 ft.  Here on the left coast, it's quite common to work JA on 40
for 2 hours after sunrise, for an hour after sunrise on 80, and a half
hour on 160M.  The December Stew starts at 7 am out  here, approximately
our sunrise, and we are there to work JAs for that 30-40 minutes.

If I want to work EU on 80 or 40, my best shot is in the corresponding
hours after their sunrise, or long path around my sunrise.  During a
contest several years ago, around his sunrise, a G called me on 80M who
was so loud that I thought he certainly must have been in CO or WI
playing games with me, and I took the Q out of my log. I later learned
it was legit, and restored it. :)

73, Jim K9YC