Topband: Looking for 160m narrow beam RX advice - an interesting combination of ideas

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jan 7 10:11:51 EST 2015

The issue with just combining noise antennas is, to phase antennas, there
have to be at least two phase shift and at least two amplitude-sensitive
paths involved. At least one path through air, and at least path one through
the wired connections.

Since you want to null two sources, you have two cable paths and four air
paths involved, plus the main RX antenna complexities. Equal cable lengths
to the canceller will not solve the problems typical in systems like this.

Could you install loops in a position where the loop nulls, which are pretty
sharp, can be oriented to simultaneously null each unwanted direction, yet
have good response in the directions of desired signals? Small loops (real
loops) have a very sharp axis null and a broad even response in all other
directions, so they are excellent for removing narrow direction noise.