Topband: 160 Worked All States

Ross Primrose n4rp at n4rp.com
Fri Jan 9 14:23:23 EST 2015

I still need 3 for 160m WAS QRP, OR, AK & HI...  Every season I think
'maybe this year', and then things come up, and I don't get much time in
front of the rig.

Maybe this year ;)

73, Ross N4RP

On 1/9/2015 1:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Fri,1/9/2015 9:50 AM, James Bennett wrote:
>> Hi folks - I’m trying to complete my WAS on 160 and need a confirmed
>> QSO with anyone in the following five states: LA, MS, SC, WV, VT.
>
> I'm also trying to complete 160M WAS QRP, and need six states. Four of
> them are on your list -- MS, SC, WV, and VT. The best propagation to
> them is in the hour or so before their sunrise, and a half hour so so
> after their sunrise. The station who's most active in VT, W1SJ, is
> absolutely deaf -- he can be 10 over S9 and can't hear me. N8OO has a
> big signal from LA, and is not too tough to work. N4OGW is active in
> contests from MS; Tor is a good op and has a decent station, but he
> goes to bed early. Catch him earlier in the evening. N8II and K8JQ are
> active from WV, but not big signals.
>
> I don't see NAQP as a great opportunity, but you might get N8OO. The
> reason is that it ends at 10 PM PST, and those of us who go to 160 do
> so in the last half hour to grab some more mults. Much better
> opportunities during CQWW160 CW, the weekend of Jan 24, and later
> during the SSB weekend, Feb 28. Both contests start at 2PM PST Friday.
>
> You probably know that propagation on 160 ebbs and flows through the
> evening, and some nights are far better than others. I've worked WAS
> in a weekend several times with 100W from CA.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”