Topband: Looking for 160m narrow beam RX advice - an interesting com

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:39:08 EST 2015

>1. I can see the case for an array of loops. However, wouldn't it be less
>time-consuming --not to mention less expensive-- to just get an additional
>MFJ-1026 to effectively null the second noise source? Null out one noise in
>the first 1026, and then null out the second noise source in the second
>1026? (If not in this case, then in other situations?)

That won't work.  Think about it.  You null noise source 1 with one
box and feed that to the second box and you use that box to null noise
source 2, but noise source 1 is going to come in on the noise source 2
pickup antenna and appear in the receiver front end.  The only
effective method is to use loop stick antennas oriented so as to null
one noise source then use the phase-shifting-nulling network to null
the second noise source.  If you have three noise sources you are
sunk.

We may as well face it--we're screwed.  Unless you reside in the
sticks with about 500 feet all around your antennas, 160 is no longer
a weak signal band for you.  You can still operate it, but you won't
be able to work anyone unless they have a strong signal.

73

Rob
K5UJ