Topband: Beverage on Ice

Roger Parsons via Topband topband at contesting.com
Fri Jan 16 16:51:24 EST 2015

I know that Beverages on Ground have been discussed on a number of occasions, but:

I live on the shores of a reasonably large lake, and at this time of year it will be frozen to at least 2' and possibly 4' or 5' deep. I believe that ice is a pretty good insulator, so I wonder about the effectiveness of a wire just laid on the surface? It would be impossible to retrieve the wire in the spring so it would have to be fine enameled copper. Even that may not be very environmentally friendly? If the wire survived the first couple of days it would be frozen into the ice - it would be at risk from snow machines until that happened.

This is just speculation from enforced idleness - I cleverly managed to break my leg during a foolish last check of my receive antennas before Christmas - so I can't even get into the shack, let alone onto the lake. I was not very hopeful in any event that EP6T would be workable from here, but I am determined somehow to get there for K1N...

73 Roger
VE3ZI