Topband: Compact magnetic loop

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sat Jan 17 18:32:19 EST 2015

Effective aperture is not size related.
Effective aperture is exclusively tied to wavelength and gain.

The only time effective aperture means anything for receiving is when
external noise no longer significantly influences noise floor. Other than
that, effective aperture is meaningless for S/N or hearing DX.

The real issue with a small loop is it only has two very sharp nulls through
the axis. It all other directions, even straight up and below, it has
response. This means the only points where it significantly discriminates
against external noise are two points through the axis.

Making it worse, many or most loops have terrible feedpoint designs. I
measured a very popular expensive loop, and the pattern had considerable
skewing because of feedline common mode response. While I had the loop
thousands of feet from noise sources, the pattern told me the feedline was a
major part of the "antenna".

That same antenna, near my house, was nearly dominated by conducted noise
along the feedline. I determined the common mode "noise" sensitivity was
only down 5-10 dB from the loop pickup when a 50 foot feedline was used.

It could only be three things:

1.) The feedpoint or loop design was poor, resulting in local conducted
noise dominating the background

2.) An inherent lack of directivity that comes with the wide peak response
and narrow axis nulls of the loop

3.) The loop efficiency is too low for the noise floor of the preamps, and
internal noise is limiting weak signal response (even a 3 foot loop has
enough theoretical gain for use in a reasonably quiet location)

All of those are reasonably easy  to test.

73 Tom