Topband: 160 VERT

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Jan 18 12:39:09 EST 2015

There is no matching system at the base, and the antenna is pretty short.
The SWR should be higher than 3:1 except losses are involved. System loss
will tend to lower the SWR. The worse antenna efficiency becomes (within
limits), the lower SWR will become.

You could add a shunt capacitor from the feedpoint to ground (directly
across the coax) or an inductor across the coax. You probably are going to
need 35 ohms of capacitive or inductive reactance shunting the coax, and to
retune the antenna with that reactance there. That would be a 2400 pF
capacitor or a 3.1 uH inductor shunting the coax. The inductor would be
about 10 turns 2 inches in diameter, and might be easiest.

Then you just retune it to resonance.