Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

Chester Latawiec chetlat at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:30:02 EST 2015

Frank.  I'm with you 100%.
I have accomplished the same as you.  Set up a remote listening site in a friends back yard (he has several acres) specifically for 160M.I found this to be a much cheaper alternative to buying a farm and leaving my spouse behind (she is not leaving our present domicile).  My remote station build has been the most rewarding both technically and personally.  I have had to learn stuff I never had any intention of learning in the first place.  But it did get me DXCC on 160M.
So why should you and I be punished because we do not want to spend dollars buying a farm and installing yet another station with towers, antennas, hardline, ....
CQ and Stew Perry allow remote receive sites at least, within a 60 mile or so radius.  My site is 15 miles away.  The first time I worked a JA,  I was like a 16 year old kid.  And when I worked Amsterdam Is. last year on 160, I believed I had achieved my best accomplishment in this marvelous hobby of ours over a 46 year time span.
Maybe others out there will write ARRL and ask for consideration of rule change.For this weekend, it's back to my 10M vertical and mag loop for receive.  There's just no comparison.
73 Chet VE3CFK