Topband: EP6T from western Europe EI

Doug Turnbull turnbull at net1.ie
Wed Jan 21 11:54:08 EST 2015

Dear OMs and Yls,

      The truth is that very few have worked EP6T from EI or G land.   There
have been all of three TB QSOs from G land, and no QSOs from EI.   There
have been all of 58 TB QSOs from all of zone 14 and this includes all of
Germany which comes much closer to EP that either EI or G.     There have
been no QSOs on 80M from EI; 10 from G land and 188 for all of zone 14.
Forty meters does not look very good either.

      They do not seem to be hearing very well and for that matter on 160M
the signal is weaker than might be expected.  So please do not feel
persecuted.    The low bands are pretty much a bust for this DXpedition
unless you are closer say in parts of UA land.

      Last night on 80M CW several breaks were taken with calls for NA but
no replies or maybe one and then no more.   I was on till 02:30.     Even in
working EU stations the process was generally pretty slow.   I was certainly
never heard and it was not for lack of trying.

      They have a four square for TX and RX on 40 meters and this antenna
works well - it is very directional as is witnessed when they change its
direction.   The signals on 40M have been very good but so far no luck for
EI2CN on either CW or SSB despite trying for hours.

       The demand is just too great.   They do not have enough operators to
keep the stations plugging away constantly.    At times the operators are
really good working one after another then they are slow taking a minute per
QSO or longer.   It is disheartening.   Still these guys have noise, a wall
of QRM and a power outage the first night.

       Sadly for us in Europe there are amongst us plenty of people causing
deliberate QRM.   Since in EI one beams across Europe there is no avoiding
this mess.   Thanks be for Navassa the EU is to my back and the Hi-Z four
square can reduce the garbage.   We have a problem in Europe - that I know.
I am not so sure about the USA but I suspect there are a few "nutters"
amongst your midst as well.

       People in the EU, NA and JA all complain when EP6T decides to target
a given area other than their own.   For EI it is often only when the
signals finally build that EP6T starts calling for NA.   It is what must be
accepted with grace.   Come  Navassa, I suspect the Greek stations will
suffer this problem and we in EI will have an easier time.

      Well this is the perspective from here.   I despair of working EP6T on
TB and doubt I will log them on 80M.    All of EI has but three QSOs on 30M.
This is a tough one.

                     73 Doug EI2CN