Topband: K levels and skew path on 160

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jan 27 14:21:00 EST 2015

>I was rereading the article by Cary Oler and Ted Cohen (N4XX), published in
> 1998, which provided a good primer for understanding, as much as we can,
> propagation on Topband. In one section the impact of a high K index on the
> auroral oval, and its subsequent impact on signals passing through the
> oval,
> was discussed. My question is does the K index, especially at higher
> levels,
> impact the SW or SSW skew path many of us were trying to use this morning
> work Ken, XW4ZW? Any information or observations will be appreciated.
> Best,

Steve,

>From my location now, and when I was in Ohio, it was quite normal for any
signal passing near or through the north magnetic pole to never make it
through via the direct path. When signals were heard, they were always
skewed in some other direction.

The only exception seems to be when sunspots and geomagnetic activity are
very low. In this very last solar minimum, when sunspots were absent, many
stations would appear via north. Of course that gave the northern NA
stations nearly north of me a clear advantage, because they were closer.

My policy is to not worry about predicting or expecting anything, and I
rarely even look at solar activity. I just listen in all dark directions
when the station is almost on the opposite side of the world, especially
when he is anywhere near the equator and far,far, away.   :)

73 Tom