Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu Jan 29 14:29:29 EST 2015

If you're trying to find a suitable box to mount *in the wall* that will fit two duplex receptacles and some filters, try a 4-11 box (4-11/16" square) that is 2-1/8" deep (this is a standard size). You can use a "plaster ring" on this box to allow two duplex receptacles to mount properly and then mount the box in the wall (this last part will be a bit tricky since the 4-11 boxes don't usually have mounting wings). You could also get a "double duplex raised cover" for the 4-11 box if you want to mount the box on the surface. Any of the electrical supply houses should have all this stuff, just ask for a "four eleven" box. You might need to ask for a "deep" box (which is the 2-1/8" version) since there is also a shallow box around 1-1/4" deep. The 4-11 boxes can take any standard clamps that "normal" electrical boxes take.

With the raised cover option you could make a kind of "filter cord". Use the raised cover on the 4-11 box. The raised cover adds about 1/2" so that most of the internal space in the 4-11 box would be available for filter components without interference from the receptacles. Ideally you'd use a "cable gland" (sometimes also called a "rubber cord grip") to bring flexible power cable into the box (like type SJ cable). The cable gland is a round fitting with a big tapered rubber grommet inside. When you screw the metal ring over the grommet, the grommet inside compresses in the tapered fitting to grip the cord all the way around. It's much better than any of the metal clamps that are intended for NM cable (Romex). If you want a REALLY strong grip to the cable you can use a kellums grip (a wire basket that works like the "Chinese handcuffs" that grab fingers), but that's really not necessary.

Any of this stuff is available from commercial electrical supply houses but probably not the big box stores. The wholesalers will usually sell to anyone as long as you're friendly and don't ask lots of crazy questions since they don't want to take time to explain things to non-professionals. Just ask for the following items:
Four-eleven deep box
Double duplex raised cover for the four eleven box
Cable gland for 14/3 SJ (or whatever cable you're using)
Lock nut for the cable gland (they usually don't include one)
Get a few spec-grade receptacles -- they're good and only a few bucks at the supply houses. NEMA number 5-15R is the "regular" one, 5-20R is the 20 amp version with a "T" shaped slot.

If you need even more room, I'd use a 6x6x4 PVC junction box and mount the receptacles on the blank cover using a "normal" flush wall plate. This would give you a LOT of room inside, but you'll need to cut your own holes for a cable gland as well as for the receptacles themselves. Some of my electricians have found the cheapest cutter for this is the "conduit size" step drill that is available from harbor freight for around $10. You can also use a 7/8" hole saw.

   -Bill KB8WYP