Topband: Remote Radio operation

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Jan 30 16:10:15 EST 2015

Oddly enough I was working with the North Korean UN ambassador to get an
internet TX/RX package on the top floor off that 1500 foot hotel in
downtown Pyongyang with a radio sport "rental" for radio clubs all over
the world to participate in providing operators from their own country
who would never have to leave home.  It was going to be a small self
contained 20 meter 100 watt CW only package using Remote Rig and a Icom
7100 with a short feedline to a 20 meter GP. It would have been setup to
be operated by clubs on a shared basis with whatever "rental" funds
accrued going to a radio club  in the PRNK. I thought it was a god idea
until the ambassador disappeared. Would there be any objection to an
operation like this even though the ops could be anywhere as long as the
complete station was in North Korea? In fact why is there such a big
deal on where physically the operator is situated?  The biggest obstacle
would have been getting a permit for the equipment and a call sign from
the government.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ