Topband: loop question

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:19:33 EDT 2015

Hi, Kirk,

A multiband antenna that actually works is actually a difficult thing to
get right. We have a collection of them that do work, but they have gotten
to us through a process. The original guy making up one of those went
through grief to get it to work, and probably discarded dozens of variously
configured attempts before he got it to take power at all. Then of course
often had to throw away one that took power because it didn't perform worth
a diddly.

It's a little easier now with antenna modeling programs. You can throw away
bad designs made in a virtual world, without constructing them, as most bad
designs actually show up as such in the modeling. Then you have to actually
go out and put one up to see if the model tells you reality. On 160, with
the ground usually so very close in terms of wavelengths, reality can be
very different than the model.

Model your loops and see what happens. To answer your question, that's what
I will have to do. You're the one that will be able to wiggle the design to
fit a situation you are familiar with.

73 and good luck.

Guy, K2AV