Topband: Antenna relays

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon May 18 12:31:17 EDT 2015

>I agree generally with these comments, except that my experience with
> CdAg contacts on receiving hasn't been that bad, provided that the
> application exercises the relays occasionally. Thus, using them as,
> e.g., an outdoor antenna switch where the antenna isn't regularly
> switched, and where there are large temperature fluctuations, can
> definitely lead to receive problems. At one point I thought about
> using a small dc bias current through relay contacts, but found it
> wasn't necessary.

With two relays in an amplifier, and maybe 5-8 relays in a switch, and
thousands of amplifiers and antenna relays sold, and with Internet where
even 1-2% failures creates a lifelong firestorm of "what they did wrong" by
critical experts (who probably see less than one or two units a month
instead of samples out of thousands), the perspective changes.

:)

The relays have to be gold flash, because silver has sulfidation issues. The
contacts generally have to be small, or must have pretty high operating
power for the relay size to allow high spring pressure.

This is all summarized, including links to outside relay information, at:

http://www.w8ji.com/relay_cleaning_and_life.htm