Topband: Beverage on Ground under Snow

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Wed May 27 16:10:09 EDT 2015

Hi Don,

This last Springtime I did have a lowering of the BOG optimum frequency
from Low 160 meter band, down to about 1700 KHZ.
The antenna however was still working well on 160 meters. The front to
back was not as good as the top of the Broadcast band.  This was not a
typical winter, it was severe in my area.
The ground did not freeze much, if any depending upon location. We had
very heavy deep snow that broke ,trees and vegetation down. As we got
into spring the sheer weight of snow turning into ice
pushed the BOG antenna with vegetation atop, down into the mud.(muck)

Made a hook at the end of a stick, and used it to pull the wire up to
ground level, the best F/B frequency came back up to 160 meters..

This has not been a (typical) BOG antenna problem for me before.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

My question is what happens when I get 3-6 feet (1-2 meters) of snow on
top of the Beverage on ground. Will it still function. Change relative
to matching.

Anyone have any experience with significant amounts of snow on one of
these antennas and how it performed

Thanks in Advance

161
Don