Topband: beverage layout

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Fri Nov 6 23:08:07 EST 2015

Steve,
I have two bidirectional beverages (NE/SW and NW/SE), each 720 ft long, configured in a V-shape.  I'm using DXE switching and xfmrs, with the vertex of the V a 4x4 post. I use additional 4x4 posts spaced every 60 ft along the length,  seven ft out of the ground, with ceramic insulators with large holes on the side of each post. The ceramic insulators screw into the sides of the posts and cost about $1 each from a farm supply company. The WD1a wire is a twisted pair, with both conductors tied in parallel for each wire of the pari/ (i.e., four wires for each beverage) The WD1 slides thourh the hole in the insulators and is anchored only at the end points. A pulley at the far end of each beverage equalizes the tension in the parallel wires. My original version of the beverages used ladder line from DXE and it was constant maintenance. After two years I gave up and switched to the WD1a, which is fabulous. It's very strong, which is the primary requirement. I've had no trouble since I started using it. The electrical resistance of the WD1a is insignificant.

My only complaint about my beverages is that the F/B ratio is often only about 10-15 db, a fact I attribute to the lousy sandy soil at my QTH. I have a couple of ground rods at the ends of each beverage, but I don't think that's adequate.  The side-to-front ratio when I switch beverages is very good, by contrast.

73,
Jim W8ZR