Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Nov 10 09:22:58 EST 2015

I think that you are lucky that it lasted two years! I set up a temporary
tower/rotator when I moved to this QTH and in less than a week the rotator
and control cables were chewed so bad that it did not work. For the coax I
used old Heliax and that was not chewed, although at my previous home in
IL something would occasional chew the smaller Heliax near the tower base,
but not enough to make it unusable. So I repaired the rotator cable and
temporarily elevated it on lawn chairs, etc which stopped the chewing.

So you have several options, bury the cable, elevate it, cover it inside
something or use Andrew Heliax. I believe even burying it a little would
resolve the issue and this should not be difficult using a trencher.

John KK9A