Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?

Dave Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Nov 12 15:53:54 EST 2015

You are right, Guy, but I have plenty of test gear to check coax. I can sweep it for return loss, check insertion loss and all that stuff. I use several HP scalar analyzers as well as an 8753D vector network analyzer good to six GHz. I have an Anritsu Sitemaster that has a great TDR function as well. I even have a 500 MHz 50 : 75 ohm transformer.  Being a VHF and microwave addict, I am constantly testing cables on the higher bands looking for humidity getting into otherwise new good looking cable and making things NG. Checking cables for 160 is a piece of cake by comparison. I am running the new 1000 ft run of flooded cable in conduit to my EU beverage , but I have also rejuvenated the chewed up cable and its' insertion loss and VSWR are back to normal. TDR wise, I saw the biggest bump at the BNC connector I put on one end. All the splices look pretty good.  I replaced about 15 ft of bad cable with F splices, dielectric grease, and adhesive backed heat shrink tubing over each splice. The coax was Belden flooded direct burial RG-6, and it appears that water did not move very far in the cable. I'll use the repaired cable for another beverage. There is room in the conduit for a second run of cable.

73

Dave K1WHS