Topband: Evolution

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Sun Nov 15 13:21:40 EST 2015

Evolution??  Heck its more a return to our roots,  seems to me we had
the band
long ago and it was taken from us,  new low band?  wonder what the guys
using
136 KC think of that.    Evolution may be in the new modes being used
and new
gear,  but the band is a "welcome back" to what we lost years ago.

Thanks to all the hams and operators that were on last nite,  was quite
exciting
from KH6.   First I tuned across the band and was blasted out of the
chair by
599 plus KSM sending a bulletin at 426khz,   down 1KC at 425 was KYVM a ship
off CA.   he was much weaker at 559,  really neat to hear those
signals,  not long
after I was able to work all 4 of the VE7 crossband,  VA7MM, VE7SL, VE7BDQ
and VE7CNF.  all with deep QSB but 559 on peaks,   could copy XSH/20 but he
seemed to be beacon mode and was not able to raise him.   that was the only
CW I heard just after sunset my time.

Over the past couple weeks running 1w or less ERP I have been able to work
VK,  ZF,  JA, and US all the way to the east coast.   Most if not all of
these are
first time ever contacts from KH6.

Lots of fun on 630M,  try it you may like it,  and you dont have to wait
in line
to operate,  a part 5 is granted much faster than trying to ask ARRL to
operate
under their license,  and never hear a reply or wait 6 months for a "maybe".

73 Merv K9FD/KH6  WH2XCR

Thanks to all the topbanders that had a listen on 630M this weekend.