Topband: Woodpeckers (was Why do rodents eat coax?)

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 21 12:28:06 EST 2015

Don, K4KYV wrote (in part):

Snip =============

I have  had that problem, except  they were eating my shack!  They pecked holes in the wood siding and trimming.  The only way I have even been able to
discourage them is to stuff aluminium foil in the hole they already made, and they will abandon that hole but a few days later start another one.

Snip =============

Don and all,

Part of the issue is territory. The woodpeckers are marking territory by
"drumming". Once they've created an opening, hey, a nest!

Having a cedar clapboard sided house in the woods, I found the same
problem. I'd put a piece of aluminum flashing over the hole, only to see
dent marks in it the next day.

LINK ->   http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/woodpeckers.phpk <- LINK

Since woodpeckers are federally protected (those outside the United
States will have to perform their own research with regard to protective
status), you may wish to try the suggestions in the link above.  What I
found that worked was a couple of inflatable snake decoys. Sadly, the
inflated snakes leaked and fell down, and really didn't impress the
birds. I put the now deflated snakes to simulate a snake that had shed
it's skin ... and the woodpeckers are staying away. They aren't fooled
by the fake snake, but where there are snake skins, there are sneaky
hidden snakes, and self-preservation instincts takes care of the rest.
It's not harassment, it's intimidation!

Hope this helps.

73,

Rick