Topband: Diversity-capable transceivers

Carl Braun Carl.Braun at lairdtech.com
Mon Nov 30 10:09:40 EST 2015

Barry and fellow Topbanders

I used an Icom 7800 for diversity reception and found it to be a wonderful performer.  I would listen to my vertical array on 80 while monitoring the same signals with my second receiver connected to either a Pixel loop or a rotatable 80 dipole.

Now I am back to my trusty FT1000D with dual RX but it doesn't compare to the 7800 due to the disadvantaged 2nd RX in the 1000D.  The main RX has all filters (incl roofing) but the 2nd RX can only do so much as it introduces noise into the mix degrading any weak signals combined from the main RX.

I hear a lot of DXers speaking highly of the Yaesu FTDX5000 series of radios.  The Sherwood reports seem to think they are among the best "knobbed" XCVRs out there if you look past the Flex and K3 rig specs.  The 5000 , the Icom 78XX series and the 990 all seem to be great for dual diversity however there are some real price differentials in the pack.

Carl