Topband: Router Recommendations

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 6 16:47:59 EDT 2015

On Tue,10/6/2015 1:20 PM, wb6rse1 at mac.com wrote:
> I’m looking for WiFi router recommendations that support the latest standard, 802.11ac, and that have minimal if any RFI birdies. Netgear? Model numbers? Others.

Several years ago, I bought a top of the line ASUS RT-N56U. I've been
very happy with it. I update the firmware every year or two. All of my
network is wireless with the exception of one printer.

Any Ethernet box I've ever seen/used will generate some birdies.
Following my advice for ferrite chokes on every cable that connects to
them will knock them down a lot. It's been a while, but I think this
router was quieter than the Netgear unit it replaced.

At the same time I bought that one, I also bought a lower cost unit that
I still use for CQP, and a couple of USB adapters to plug into old
laptops that don't have decent wireless. They work well too.

Both of the ASUS routers run fine on 12VDC -- at CQP, we hung it on our
12VDC bus, and at home I run it both it and the cable modem from a 12V
sealed lead acid that is float-charged by a vintage linear wall wart.
That eliminates another source of noise (the switching wall warts they
supply with the unit), and it also acts as a UPS to keep the internet up
during power failures.

73, Jim K9YC