Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 154, Issue 7

Steve Ireland vk6vz at arach.net.au
Sat Oct 10 05:15:20 EDT 2015

>None of the below has anything to do with overload from local transmitters.
:)

>Or did I miss that part?

Dear Tom

Yes I think you did - but never mind.  :) I've put the part of the post just
below.

> For about 18 months I used the HPSDR transceiver alongside a ?benchmark?
> Elecraft K3 in contests and for DXing, alongside keen contester/DXers
> VK6LW (about 3km away) and VK6DXI SK (about 30km away) running full power
> on Topband and the other bands.  I could work equally close (within 500Hz)
> to Kevin and Mirek on the HPSDR as I could on the K3.

Of course, I was talking about using a DUC/DDC in a single
transmitter/receiver urban/semi-rural station setting on a quarter to half
an acre block, which is the setting in which the vast majority of people who
subscribe to this reflector would be using a transceiver.

I take it that by 'local transmitter' you mean operating a DUC/DDC SDR
transceiver in a multi-multi contest station environment and the RF
immunity - or lack of - each station from the others.

There are a few relatively wealthy, clever, dynamic people like yourself in
the United States and Europe on this reflector who have built up multiple
operator, multiple transceiver stations on multiples of acres and use them
in contests, which is undoubtedly wonderful.  However, by and large, we
don't have this kind of station in  Australia and I have absolutely no
experience (and to be totally honest, not a lot of interest) with what would
happen if DDC/DUC transceivers were used in this situation.

However, if I had the intelligence, the energy, spare time and financial
resources to run a multi-multi station like you, I'd be regularly evaluating
(and reevaluating) the latest SDR hardware, in regard to how they perform in
this environment in order to maintain my competitive edge.

I always enjoy our exchanges. :)

Kind Regards

Steve, VK6VZ

---