Topband: High Pass Filter

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Oct 12 14:07:01 EDT 2015

On 10/12/2015 9:03 AM, Jay Terleski wrote:
> "Where can I find a schematic for a good high pass filter that rolls off at
> 1700 kHz?"
>
> Hopefully with permission of the moderator I suggest you might look at our
> inexpensive filters.  The specs are good even at 1.7 MHz
> http://arraysolutions.com/Products/AS160HPF.htm
>
> Jay Terleski

The specs look good as far as they go, but the apparently tiny
inductors may have issues of core distortion on strong signals.
There are many reports of distortion in similarly small transformers.
Has the filter been tested for distortion with realistically
high signal levels?

I would rather have F connectors than RCA phono jacks.

Cable assemblies with RCA's are normally intended for audio,
and the shield is usually a joke for RF:  a single layer of
wires that spiral around, not even braid.  You can homebrew
good RF cables with the right version of RCA connector and
good cable, but it is a lot of trouble.  Also, the center
conductor contact in many jacks is unreliable even for audio.

Rick N6RK