Topband: Re. RFI - lots of it

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Oct 27 21:30:14 EDT 2015

> Rain on the way so will know for sure what conditions are best. Hopefully
> not the same as Tim or Kriss since this is big Lake effect snow country
> although you'd think snow would melt at an arcing area. We are expecting
> 60mph winds tomorrow and rain. Regardless, power company is sending
> someone "to take a look". Noise is still down but not gone since the wet
> weather stopped.jim/k2hn
> _________________

Wet weather noise is often corona related, but sometimes defective
insulators, cracked, scored, or dirty. I had problems with 345kV line corona
in Ohio when the weather was damp.

Dry weather noise is often slack spans allowing the metal pin joints or ball
and socket joints in insulators to arc from capacitive coupling. The metal
on metal corrodes and makes a tiny layer of oxide that arcs from capacitive
coupling and leakage.  Hitting a pole with a hammer finds that, because it
shakes the wires and wiggles the metal joints.

There are so many different things that can cause noise, however, that any
Internet diagnosis is mostly a wild guess.

The best thing to do before doing anything is try to track it with a VHF AM
radio, like a portable aircraft radio. I have commercial noise locating
equipment, but the last time I lent it out it came back broken.  :(

73 Tom