Topband: RFI - and lots of it

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Oct 28 19:24:26 EDT 2015

Everything you do properly to reduce the chance of common mode noise being
conducted into the house will also reduce RF feedback, power line fault
damage, and lightning damage risks.

Even if it makes no difference in noise, it pays back in increased safety.

This house had expensive lightning protectors on the power line at the
service head, but the only ground was a cast iron pipe with a loose rusty
steel clamp. I threw the surge supressors away when I upgraded things over
15 years ago. Despite adding towers that get hit quite often (a few times a
month in thunderstorm seasons), I never lose anything. Not even a modem.

The only common damages are meleted cables and wires outside the buildings,
but nothing can prevent that.