Topband: RFI - and lots of it

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Oct 29 10:43:53 EDT 2015

That's one reason why I like to augment a NEC-required mechanical connection with silver-solder.  The mechanical connection will degrade with time but it will take significantly longer for a silver-soldered connection to degrade, absent some really acidic soil condition.

Local code here now requires two (2) grounding electrodes at the service entrance spaced to cover the "sphere of influence."  That means two eight-foot rods require 16 ft. spacing.  As I recall, the 2008 issue of NEC allows one electrode if one can demonstrate 25-ohms earthing resistance.    Not sure if that's still true with the newest NEC changes.   But what measures 25 ohms today may measure a lot higher as time goes by.

Paul, W9AC