Topband: Waller Flag Question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 7 00:19:56 EDT 2015

On Sun,9/6/2015 4:31 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
> Thanks for the insights.  I have no doubt the theory is correct.  My
> sense, though, is that in the denser suburbs, we live in a "fog" of
> local radio noise, generated by the scores of digital and other
> devices that surround us.

The sad thing is that many of us have a score of noise sources in our
own homes, and more in the homes that surround us. I have at least that
many products that came with SMPS wall warts or equivalent, and many of
the products themselves are potential noise sources.

I've replaced all of the SMPS blocks that came in my door with vintage
linear supplies (and some are vintage linear supplies float-charging
sealed lead acid batteries. Both the supplies and batteries are chosen
so that the battery doesn't get overcharged. And I have a "poor man's
UPS" in the form of this setup. I've also choked cables coming from
noisy gear to kill common mode current on those cables that could
otherwise radiate.

73, Jim K9YC