Topband: Waller Flag Question

JC n4is at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 13:14:58 EDT 2015

Art

I don't know where this coming from ,but the gain you need for a VWF modest
size is 20db for vertical polarization and for horizontal HWF you need 40db
on 160m, on 80m divide this by 2, you need only 20 dB  and on 40m 10 dB a
NORTON preamp is enough. All situations you need a band pass filter.

The WF change gain with high above ground but the RDF and  elevation angle
does not change, only the gain change, for 160m, changing the antenna height
120 ft. to 90 ft. the gain drops 2 dB, from 90 to 60 the gain drops 3 dB
more, and from 60 to 30 ft. 5 dB more, do for 160m HWF at 120ft the gain
drops 10 dB for a 30 ft. high HWF.

KD9SV sells a preamplifier that I recommend, it is special designed for
WF's, check DXE page.

You can check some WF results on Doug page, NX4D. I heard over 295 countries
since 2006 using WF's, Doug heard over 300 and worked 295 on 160 since 2003,
both of us live in subdivisions and we use a 40 dB gain preamp with tuned
input and band pass filters after it.

http://nx4d10.wix.com/waller-flag

Detuning the tower or TX vertical antenna is  a " MUST " for VWF. Not a
problem for HWV. Inverter V also needs to be detuned in both cases. I
recommend don't waste your time if detuning is not on top of you to-do list.

Remove common node noise with chokes should be the second on the list,
Antenna and preamp is the last thing to get going.

Regards
JC
N4IS