Topband: Waller Flag Question

Hugh Valentine HSVDDS at Juno.Com
Tue Sep 8 20:31:45 EDT 2015

Pardon me for chiming in on this Waller flag discussion as I am probably the least qualified person on Topband to discuss technical issues.

But, I do a lot of Trial and Error-ing and use some of the wisdom shared here.  Plus I am a true Ham O Holic and always want to improve my ability to work DX on Low Bands.  And need to keep improving as I only use a highly compromised TX antenna....a lowly Bird Feeder.

But, I am blessed to live 70’ from a Salt Marsh, on an Island with all Utilities/Cable underground and “almost” No Noise. Even though I have probably the Lowest 160 Antenna (35’Vertical) I do manage to hear and work long haul Top Band DX.

The last 2 years or so I converted from some EWEs(Stealth) to a K9AY Loop Array.  This helped boost signals from the quiet.  I next added Two K9YC chokes...one 15-20’ from the K9AY feed point, and one in the shack, just before the K9AY control box.  Thanks K9YC......Quieter.....
So the Top Band Reflector helped me.  During the quieter winter months, most mornings on top Band, I can use both the K9AY Preamp and the K3 preamps together and have S0 or S1 flashing noise on the K3.
In monitoring the Low Band Chat, I can most times hear what the Waller Flag Guys NX4D and N4IS are reporting,(depending on prop).  I occasionally hear things no one can hear...I think just based upon the fact that I have little or no noise....If I get a little bit of noise from a local fluorescent or neighbor’s TV....just a little will wipe out a super weak signal and I lose my edge/advantage.  I think a lot of weak signals are there for most, just in the noise.

I believe those K9YC chokes helped me a lot.

Now, I hear you guys talk about “Detuning” nearby antennas to further reduce noise. My K9AY Loop is only 20’ from my “Birdfeeder” TX antenna. (I have a Multi-Core K9YC Choke on the Feed Point)
I have a Steppir Vertical which is 1’ from the horizontal portion of the “Bird Feeder”-(And 15’ from the K9AY).  And a final OCF Dipole wire is about 15’ from the TX Antenna(BF).  Thinks are close.....

Question:  Should I look into “Detuning” These other antennae? to further reduce noise.......

What DX I work is because I have less noise than most and I can hear...But I sure need some more advantage to help make up for the old bird Feeder.  I don’t work this stuff using power or a big TX antenna.

What the experts are talking about here is reducing Noise, which interferes with our ability to hear super weak signals, then Super Amplifiying the weak signal to stand out over the noise.  That is my take.

How do I know if “detuning” my TX antennas will help?  and How do I do that?
I can’t put up a Tower or Waller.  I am just an uneducated Redneck Swamp Boy tryin’ to make a Biscuit and survive.
And comments appreciated.

I am reading and enjoying these discussions and appreciate the expertise of the participants.  Thanks for your help.

73
Val
N4RJ