Topband: Half slopers ???

Ryszard Tymkiewicz rtym at ippt.pan.pl
Sat Apr 2 04:55:42 EDT 2016

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to work on 160m (also on 80m) from a city lot.
>
> I have been reading about half slopers in the ARRL Wire antenna classics B
> (chapter 7).
>
> I have a 50 ft grounded tower available and can run an sloping wire 60 ft
> (1/4 wl on 80m) then add an 80m trap and more wire to work 160m.
>
> Any thoughts about this kind of antenna?...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug, CO8DM
>
> ______

Doug I was using half sloper on 160m for 20 years and it was not bad..I
worked #300 countries ..BUT
a few years ago I tuned my tower with a shunt and when comparing both
antennas during many QSOs
a difference was between 1 to 2S for shunt fed tower. The tower has been
22m high with quite big
hat of TH6DXX and 6 el 6m Yagi  ( that time).
Anyway the tower has been too big for 80m and I still use two half
slopers for 80m aiming in opposite
directions...I've thought there will be a difference between them but
its is only about 1 - 2 dB.
Of course I have many radials around but my garden is just 30 x 30 m.

                                     73 and GL
                                           Rys
                                      SP5EWY