Topband: Receive loop observations

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 3 14:21:25 EDT 2016

If you're on the air and have neighbors, you've got RX noise, and most
of it comes from noisy electronics. SO -- you need ferrite cores to
suppress that noise. You also need ferrite cores to kill common mode
current on antennas. If you can buy cores that do both, you can buy in
quantity.

N6RK noted that a #43 core could be used, with somewhat reduced
efficiency. Efficiency usually doesn't matter for RX applications. #43
cores are excellent for winding chokes to kill RFI above 4 MHz; #31
cores are better below 4 MHz, and work well above 4 MHz. Also -- most
ferrite cores sold at ham flea markets are either Fair-Rite #43 or are
similar cores from another mfr.

Most of us have ham neighbors with whom we can combine a group purchase,
and are members of one or more clubs with whom we can combine even more.
Thus, buying in quantity is much easier than you think.

73, Jim K9YC