Topband: Under the FWIW

Craig Clark jcclark at myfairpoint.net
Wed Apr 13 08:30:19 EDT 2016

In 1974, I was commissioned as a US Army 2Lt and assigned to the Signal
Corps.
After summer break, I reported to Ft Gordon for Signal Basic training. Among
the many disciplines
we covered was how to teach a class. I decided to do a class on radio waves
and how they propagate.
After a Chalkboard presentation describing propagation, I used a small HF
transmitter and fluorescent light
To prove the existence of "radio waves" to the class.

I was the only one in the class with a ham license and one of two who knew
and could use Morse code
to communicate. The second class I did was demonstrate "binary
communications" with a older LT from Cambodia.

Enough of my nostalgia.

Craig K1QX

PS For those who were in the Army, the TAMMS 38-750, The Army Maintenance
Management System, was the most BORING class at Gordon