Topband: BOGs vs. Beverage behavior.

K1FZ-Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sat Apr 16 10:17:32 EDT 2016

I agree with K2AV that a BOG is a one band antenna if the user is
looking for the  "highest calibre" pattern, but I have a friend that
tells me his BOG is also the best 80 meter antenna on his small lot.

Because a BOG is a low impedance antenna, it does not couple to other
antennas easily. (some degree of Isolation.)

I have found - some can not get a BOG working, but have also found
others that can not get a Flag antenna working.  I have friends
in both of these categories.

Another friend placed the null of his flag antenna toward his transmit
tower to get 'very useable' results.

Best results with both antenna types usually come with much research
and testing.

Luis, IV3PRO, at HC1PF spent  a lot of time and research with help of
others to get his BOGS working really well.

Best to read his plotting page first to see his results, then his
research page to see how he got there.

http://www.iv3prk.it/bog-modeling.htm

http://www.iv3prk.it/new-page.htm

73
Bruce-K1FZ
http://www.qsl.net/k1fz/bogantennanotes.html

This also makes the BOG a one band antenna for optimum off-pattern noise
rejection. This is more painfully obvious on the east coast where NE
orientation for Europe really needs the SW f/b rejection for all the
southern hemisphere band noise, and for all the midwest/Gulf/Florida
originating QRN. A well done true Beverage retains all these useful
characteristics for multiple bands.

A BOG *does* reject close in noise off the sides regardless of electrical
length at listening frequency, it's just that off the primary band a
regular Beverage or a BOG cut specifically for that frequency will do far
better.