Topband: 160 vertical/L

Ignacy Misztal no9e at arrl.net
Mon Dec 5 14:48:06 EST 2016

I have an 80m full-size wire vertical and 160m inv L using the same 8 long
elevated (and tuned) radials, each 20m long and 2m high. The RCS-4 switch
picks up either antenna. Having separate feeds makes tuning simple.

Compared to an 80m flattop at 20m fed with ladderline, the 80m vertical is
usually 10 db down, DX included. The vertical is still better where the
flattop has a null.
Recently I put an endfed for 80-10m in an inv V configuration in a
direction where the flattop has a null. After comparisons, the vertical is
going down.  The endfed is easy to set up, takes a KW easily and is
multiband, if need be.

My results may be due to poor Georgia soil.

It is good to have many antennas and make A/B comparisons.

Ignacy, NO9E